Tuesday, March 1, 2011

To Do

I am a big fan of To Do lists. One of my favorite things about working in an office was that my desk could be organized for maximized efficiency, with my notebook placed squarely to the left of my monitor and the To Do list written at the top of the daily page. Yes, my daily page often rolled over to several pages, but I could count on my list being the home point reference right between the date and my daily notes. Don't touch my desk, and don't mess with my list.

Then I moved home. I went from my nice, tidy, OCD haven to home. I was seven months pregnant, working via the internet and taking my lunch hour to nap. No desk for my daily notebook, just a disappearing lap and a laptop. Then, one spring day, my beautiful bulging baby belly was replaced by a boppy pillow - and a beautiful baby girl! Still no desk. Still no notebook. I learned to keep the most simple To Do list: take care of principessa & take care of Hot Daddy - while working. Last night, five years after leaving the office, I sat down and wrote a To Do list. It was cathartic. No more trying to hold it all in my head. It was such a relief that I created a second list! Actually, Hot Daddy was using my laptop and I decided to write it all out in a notebook while I waited. Next task: merging the lists. The nice part about To Do lists, now that Princess Pea Pod is a little older, is the Delegated To column. Yay!

What about you? Are you a To Do list fan? Are you a list lover? What kind of lists do you keep?

I'll leave you with a list of my lists:
Reading List (I can pull this up on my phone when I am at the library. I keep track of series books here too, so I don't accidentally read them out of order!)
Grocery List (I keep a running list so I don't have to waste time rewriting commonly purchased items.)
To Do List (The champ!)
Reading Group To Do List (To Do's specific to the reading group I lead.)
Packing List (The core list for quick weekend trips can be tweaked for vacations. Yay! No brainer!)
Meal Options List (This one keeps track of my favorite go-to recipes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review - Sandcastle Inn

Irene Hannon brings us back to Hope Harbor in Sandcastle Inn, the tenth book in her series. This installment brings us into the lives of vet...